for Full Membership
| Counsellor | Therapist
Group Counsellor | Educator | Researcher | O.D. Consultant
Membership Criteria for Researcher
UKAHPP is an equal opportunities organisation. If the procedure for applying for membership is not appropriate to your situation, please let our Administrator know so that we can respond appropriately.
Criteria for Full Membership and Accreditation:
1. Orientation. This must be humanistic. An applicant acquainted only with quantitative or qualitative research will not be acceptable. There must be some understanding and use of the more humanistic approaches, such as action research and collaborative research. This need not be exclusive of other approaches or even the majority of work done in the past.
2. Training. This may be an MA or MSc by research (not by examination only) or a PhD. These should be in the field of social science. OR it may be by apprenticeship within a research organisation in a field such as consumer research or organisational development: in this case it has to be demonstrated that social science research has been carried out. Anything in this section should include some hands-on work in the field, and not be restricted to organising the research activities of other people; but this hands-on part of the work need not be the majority.
3. Experience. If a research degree has been obtained, 5 years' experience in the research field is sufficient, and this need not have been continuous. If no such degree has been obtained, 10 years' research experience must be demonstrated, which need not have been continuous.
4. Supervision. If a research degree has been obtained, it will be assumed that the work has been done under supervision. If no degree has been obtained, this must be demonstrated. Where humanistic styles of work have been undertaken, it must be demonstrated that some form of supervision or support group has been set up. The point is that humanistic research is more emotionally demanding than other kinds, and that this has to be recognised in some way.
5. Confirmation. There must be some evidence that the applicant is at present acting as a Researcher. Suitable evidence may be the word of 2 colleagues. These can be supervisors, members of support groups, co-researchers or other people involved in some way. They should not be people in the pay of the applicant or subordinate to the applicant, or students of the applicant.
6. General. All statements in every section should be supported
by some form of evidence.
7. Equal opportunities. Applicants may present a case for their
acceptance in whatever form
all applications must be made by the application forms which are obtainable from:
Ian Doucet UKAHPP Administrator